Workout partners can be of great benefit for several reasons. However this depends on if your friends/ workout buddies are like-minded as you are. You cant have a partner who does not strive to stay fit like you do, they will only slow you down and burn out your motivation eventually.
- Motivation: They provide motivation for you to keep going to the gym and working out. They help you push through on days you do not want to workout or complete your workouts.
- Exercise assistance: They could help in varying some exercises and ensuring you keep the proper form during strength training. For example, partner squats, partner leg lift pushes, medicine ball passes and tons of others.
- Spotters: Exercises like bench press, spotting is the act of supporting another person during a particular exercise, thus allowing them to lift or push more than he or she could normally do safely. Thus your partner could do this and you take turns helping each other push harder.
- Competition: They push you to go harder and do more. If you see your partner doing 20 pushups, you will be more inclined to do even more. Also if they are fitter or stronger than you are, this may motivate you to get to that level as well.
- You get to celebrate your successes together. You are able to go out for a healthy meal celebration or something that you both know wont truncate your success thus far. You have both set goals and come this far together.
My partial workout partner and husband