- Tell us about yourself
My name is Ope and I am a Wife, mother, and Doctor of physical therapy.
- How did you get into fitness?
I got into fitness when I was in high school. I thought I was on the plumper side, so I started running to get in shape and ever since then I have made sure to incorporate health and fitness into my lifestyle.
- How did being pregnant change your body?
I gained about 35 pounds while I was pregnant. I lost all the definition in my muscles and I definitely did not feel as sexy as I used to lol.
- How hard were you exercising before you became pregnant?
I was exercising about 5-6 times a week for an hour or more.
What were you doing?
I was going to boot-camp classes, running, and weight lifting. I was challenging my body as much as I could.
- When you found out you were pregnant, did you modify your workout routine?
Yes I did.
How & Why? I modified it for the safety of my child and myself. Being pregnant adds additional stress on your organs and baby’s as well so I didn’t want to do anything that could jeopardize our health. I worked out 3-4x a week and I decreased the intensity of all the exercises I did. Plus I was advised to monitor my heart rate during exercises and not to try not to exceed a certain number.
- What was a typical diet plan for you?
I really don’t “diet.” I do portion control. Anything in excess is not good for you. I didn’t really deprive myself of anything but I just didn’t over do it. You just have to be disciplined and practice self-control. I know what I want to look and feel like.
- How did each trimester affect working out?
As I got closer to the end of my pregnancy, I noticed I worked out less, or sometimes didn’t feel like working out at all. I did make sure to at least try to walk or get on the elliptical the days I couldn’t push my self to do more.
- What are your tips for those who are pregnant and trying to stay fit?
Speak with your health provider to decide what the safest and most effective plan is for you, be consistent, and don’t be too hard on yourself. Also, pregnancy is not the time to just eat and be unhealthy, think about all the good nutrients your baby needs.
- How were you able to bounce back?
I honestly think I bounced back quickly because of breastfeeding. I started walking and doing light exercises a few weeks after I delivered also.
- What’s your workout and diet routine?
I work out 4x a week now. I mostly go to spinning classes and lift weights at the gym. My diet plan is still the same, portion control…portion control..portion control. I don’t just put anything in my mouth; some calories are just not worth it. I also try not to beat myself up if I eat one doughnut here and there.
- If you could do things differently for your fit pregnancy, what would that be?
I really wouldn’t change anything. I tried my hardest not to go overboard with food consumption and to stay consistent with working out.
- How do you feel about your body now?
I love my body now, although I weigh less than I did before I got pregnant, I am not as toned but I am still working on it.
- You also help people keep fit by having boot camp classes, how does that inspire you to stay healthy?
It inspires me to be the best version of myself. I can’t teach fitness if I don’t practice fitness. Health and fitness is a part of my lifestyle.
- How can we get more information about you?
You can send me an email at Opeyemi.email@example.com, or check out my IG pages @opeudoka and @Fitness_with_friends