Think you do not have time to workout or are too busy cleaning the house? Here are some ways house chores can help you get a workout in. Another benefit of housecleaning is that it exercises all the major muscle groups
- 30 minutes of yard digging in your yard will burn about 315 calories. It will tone the muscles of your calves, thighs, arms and shoulders.
- By washing your car for 30 minutes of car washing, you’ll burn 143 calories. Washing your car works your arms and abdominals
- Raking leaves for 30 minutes burns 225 calories.
- Scrubbing the bath for 30 minutes burns 200 calories. It also helps tone the muscles of your arms and shoulders.
- Carrying shopping bags for 30 minutes burns 190 calories, and maybe more if the bags are particularly heavy. Distribute the weight evenly on each hand, or swap back and forth at regular intervals. Carrying too much weight on one side won’t just overdevelop those muscles, it could injure your spine.
- Making beds for 30 minutes burns 130 calories, the same number you’d use if you jogged on a treadmill or on flat terrain for 15 minutes.
- Cleaning windows for 30 minutes burns 125 calories, the same number used in 20 minutes of power yoga (about one-third the length of a typical power yoga class).
- Loading the dishwasher for 30 minutes burns 105 calories, which is less than the 160 calories burned when washing them by hand.
- Vacuuming for 30 minutes burns about 90 calories, the same amount you’d burn in 15 minutes of kick boxing.
- Mopping the floor for about 30 minutes burns about 112 calories and works your shoulders and biceps
- Emptying the trash burns about 165 calories per hour. No need to fight over who empties it again
- Dusting for 30 minutes burns about 50 calories.
- Ironing for 30 minutes burns about 70 calories and tones the muscles of the upper body. Stand up straight at the ironing board and press down firmly. Switch hands periodically so you don’t overdevelop one arm.
Other Calorie Burners
Here are some other activities that burn surprising amounts of calories:
- Climbing stairs for 30 minutes burns about 285 calories.
- Painting and decorating your home burns about 160 calories.
- Showering and toweling off for 30 minutes burns about 70 calories.
Some other ways to make your house chores more calorie burning are:
- Do some squats or pushups while waiting for the microwave to stop. You could also do some wall sits or march in place.
- Chop up your vegetables manually instead of the usual food processors
- Use the manual way to mix up your eggs or cake batter instead of the electric mixers
- Skip the dishwasher and wash by hand
- No dumbbells? use food cans as your weights
- Put on some music while you clean, it increases your energy and you may even break into a dance
- Don’t leave things to pile up at the bottom of the stairs – take individual items upstairs as soon as you need to.
- Plan your housework so you constantly have to run up and down the stairs.
- Keep the laundry basket on the floor when you’re ironing (rather than on a raised surface like a table). That way you’ll constantly have to bend and stretch to reach the clothes