Traveling can be a fast and easy way to put on some extra couple pounds unintentionally due to unfamiliar territories.
- Pack some snacks in your hand luggage bag: This will help you avoid being forced to buying airport food. Have you ever been stuck at the airport for a few hours and do not have any healthy snacks? You suddenly get super hungry and need a quick fix. If you had snacks you would have an upper hand between taking unhealthy greasy food and munching your snacks. I have found when i have snacks like protein bars, it is easier to grab a sandwich in addition to the protein bar as opposed to not having anything at all then my brain tells me i need something really feeling like chinese rice lol. So pack travel-friendly snacks like beef jerky, meal-replacement bars, protein bars with about 20g protein to make you more satisfied, protein powders, or protein shakes.
- On the flight: Ask for nuts or fruit instead of pretzels and chips. And choose 1 percent milk as your beverage of choice (other than water).
- Plan your workout schedule for the travel period in advance so you do not book events during that period. Now i know hotel gyms are usually a big joke, like seriously they lack adequate equipment and this usually upsets me. So what to do?
- —You could find a gym closely if you are mobile or if its close enough to walk especially if its a sister to your at home gym.
- —You could workout in your room!!! Bring workout dvds or even on tv there are some to do as well. Take your resistance bands or jump ropes with you. Since you most likely would not be able to take dumbbells lol. You could do so many workouts using your body weight alone!
- You will probably eat out most of the time, so take your time to research your meals in advance. And hey, you may decide on a cheat meal for that period but do not blow your whole diet there.
- Get your workout done early in the morning. most likely after a day of going around town, you will probably not want to workout anymore.
- Take a walk round the airport terminal to burn some extra calories. You could get some window shopping done as well, so why not right?
- Always drink water at least every hour in flight. Flying gets you dehydrated thus making you tired and ruining the whole day. Dont drink soda or caffeinated drinks.
- Use the stairs instead of escalators or elevators.
EATING IN RESTAURANTS? (http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/clean-eating-road-rules.htm)
- Order meat and veggies and if you need carbs, order a dry sweet potato, baked potato, or even rice.
- For veggies, be sure to ask for them “steamed with no butter”.
- Ask for your meat to be cooked dry with no oil or butter.
- Ask for your eggs to be cooked in spray and not in butter.
- Reiterate “no sauce” on anything!
- Have fun and plan ahead! For example, we found that the Chicken Fajita Omelet with no cheese and no sour cream with Harvest Grain and Nut Pancakes with no butter and sugar-free syrup from IHOP, fit my macros perfectly and is a darn clean meal!
- Denny’s! This place will grill plain chicken and eggs at a great price.
- At steakhouses: always opt for lean sirloin and fillet. Remember the “no butter” rule!
Top 5 hotel gyms (Active.com)
RiverPlace Hotel, Portland, OR
Fairfield Inn North, Scottsdale, AZ
Peninsula, Chicago, IL
Holiday Inn Express, Nashville, TN
Le Parker Meridien, New York, NY
Some airports are catching the fitness craze!
- San Francisco International has a yoga room in Terminal 2
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport has a 1.4-mile walking path
- Los Angeles International Airport, offers an 18-hole golf course, yoga and tai chi classes