IIFYM is short for If It Fits Your Macros
This article basically explains why i follow this plan
I have always worked out and ate clean, counted calories and even had myself on 1000calorie diets all year round. I would starve myself and not touch certain things like ice-cream, cookies , you name it because i felt they were extremely bad for me and that i will gain weight as soon as i swallowed a bite lol. Sure enough i lost weight
IIFYM simply means all fitness goals can be achieved even with eating things you love and enjoy eating. it means you do not have to stick to veggies and chicken breast all day long to achieve your goals. Your goals can be achieved while staying within your macronutrient and caloric goals for yourself each day. Macronutrients are carbohydrates, fat and proteins.
With this lifestyle i have been able to sustain it and have a healthy relationship with food. i no longer have to completely eliminate anything. I can choose what i want to eat as long as it fits my macros.
Don’t get me wrong, like 90% of my meals are clean however i can comfortably eat ice-cream, or pop tart or cookies without feeling that i have ruined my nutrition because i have been able to fit in the macros of the ice-cream or snack into my daily macros. I have a balance with food and exercise and have no reason to binge because i can always eat my “bad foods” whenever i want. I love fueling my body with clean healthy foods and thus why i eat clean at least 90% of the time.
Simple rules i follow on this plan
1) Watch my macros. I ensure i stay within my macros daily which means i weigh everything that goes into my mouth. Well 95% of it anyway. I weigh them and count the carbs, fat and protein in them. For instance if my daily macros are 220g of carbs, 50g of fat and 120g of protein ( these are not my actual macros by the way) and i want to eat a pop tart, i weigh it and calculate the macros. So for a frosted strawberry pop tart that weighs 52g, it has 5g of fat, 38g of carbs and 2g of protein. That fits in my macros. When i eat this, i just have to ensure that everything else i eat at the end of the day totals my daily macros and doesn’t exceed it.
2) Watch micronutrients. I always watch for the sodium, potassium, calcium, vitamin etc to ensure i am well balanced. This is why i do not eat most of my macros as “junk food” i eat 80-90% clean and the others are whatever.
3) Fiber: You want to monitor fiber to ensure good bowel movement and digestion
4) Weigh your food: I weigh most things i eat. I don’t go crazy and weigh every single thing, unless you are working on a fitness competition but besides that i believe a little freedom here and there would not kill me. At some point you will be able to guesstimate your meals which i do once in a while.
5) Track your food: I use myfitnesspal, you can also use my netdiary or other apps like these
6) Have some freedom: I give myself some freedom here and there. For instance if i am eating out with people, i don’t want to carry a scale and weigh stuff. Some people do, thats fine but i don’t think i need to be that serious. I usually plan ahead and then try to have an estimate in my head of what the food is and how many macros it contains. Then i overestimate to avoid underestimating my numbers.
I know some people are against IIFYM, which is fine, whatever works for everyone. I just love the concept of not having to avoid foods. I can eat whatever i want in moderation and thats what i call a lifestyle. I also understand that weighing and tracking everything is not for everyone so again do what works for you. Those are the two downsides to this lifestyle. I just love flexibility.
I love the freedom of eating what i want and working the math out, maybe its also the nerd in me thats making me love it but i do. When i had to restrict foods i found myself cheating one day and sometimes overheating and then beating myself up for days or sleeping in the gym trying to burn it all off. The worst part for me was not being free to eat out with others because i felt it will destroy it all.
How do you get your macros?
They are specific to you based on your fitness goals, lose weight, gain weight, or maintain weight. I am currently on a bulking plan so i eat a lot haha. What can i say i love food.
You can pay a coach to do yours like i did or use the IIFYM online calculator at www.iifym.com
There you have it!
What are your thoughts on IIFYM?