Should You Eat Or Skip Breakfast? Have you ever woken up, run out of the door so quick on your way to school or work without eating anything? Or maybe you stopped at the gas station or somewhere to grab something like a donut, muffin or sugary snack to start your day? Both situations are very common and often times lead to binging throughout the day. Breakfast could potentially be the important meal of the day. A lot of people tend to skip it due to lack of time to prepare it or not feeling hungry to eat. Breakfast helps jumpstart your metabolism and gives you the energy to go through the day. When you wake up, your blood sugar is low from not eating through the night since you have been on an overnight fast, breakfast, therefore, helps restore your sugar levels. Granted, we may not always be able to sit down and eat breakfast, in fact, i hardly sit down to eat breakfast, I usually have a healthy snack, mostly my overnight oats and eat on my way to work.
Benefits of Breakfast
- Research has shown that people who eat breakfast are less likely to be overweight than those who skip breakfast. Not eating breakfast causes you to get so hungry later that you tend to binge on any and everything. When you binge on the fastest unhealthy thing you can eat daily, this adds up and therefore adds some extra to the waistline.
- Research also shows that breakfast helps improve cognitive function in both adults and kids. For kids, it can help get better grades by improving their ability to concentrate.
- Breakfast also contains important nutrients like iron, calcium, protein, fiber and other vitamins. Eating the right thing for breakfast is very important. People tend to grab muffins, donuts, or sugary snacks and rush out the door or stop by Starbucks to grab some sugary drink. Now I do not know about you but on days I don’t eat breakfast within an hour or two after waking up, I grab the first thing is my sight. I love caramel popcorn so I usually end up eating so much of it that there is no coming back from it for that day lol.
- Breakfast can also help lower cholesterol levels. When you skip breakfast, you decrease your body’s insulin sensitivity which in turns leads to excess fat storage over time, extra binging daily, increase weight and increase LDL levels which are the bad cholesterol level.
- Breakfast increases your energy throughout the day. People who skip breakfast tend to be more tired, irritable or can’t focus.
What are some healthy breakfast options? If you eat sugary things like donuts, high-calorie tea, muffins and so on, you may notice you feel hungry faster. This is because high sugar meals increase your insulin levels very fast then
- Yogurt and granola
- Toast and eggs
- English muffins with low-fat cheese
- Oatmeal and fruits
- Toast with peanut butter and bananas
- Overnight oats
- Adding lean protein to your breakfast will also help prevent you from binging before lunch by keeping your fuller longer.
- Smoothie with fruits and low-fat yogurt
Find what works for you, try adding breakfast to your daily lifestyle and see how it works for you. You do not need to sit down for a full breakfast. Grab a healthy meal to go and enjoy it!
What do you think? do you eat breakfast and what have been your thoughts on it?